Monday, June 9, 2008

To feed.......or not to feed


Well............turns out Ryder doesn't love his rice cereal like I hoped he would. I felt like he did pretty well the first time I gave it to him. He didn't finish it, but he ate quite a bit. Saturday, he did alright too. Still didn't finish it, but ate quite a bit. But yesterday, Jon's mom tried switching off bottle and then a bite of cereal and it seemed to really piss Ryder off. He just cried and squirmed around like all he wanted was that bottle. Now when I try to feed him cereal today he wants nothing to do with it. AHH! Babies are so much work. It takes so long to feed him cereal I wonder if it's even worth it to start right now. His Pediatrician said to only mix the cereal with formula; NO juice and NO baby food. But I was thinking, "Okay so his Pediatrician ALSO said at his 2 month check-up that he should be sleeping 12 hours straight at night, which didn't seem right to me because he was so young so maybe he's not absolutely right about this either." So I decided to add the slightest bit of baby food to the cereal just to give it a little flavor flav and Ryder STILL wasn't interested!!! He won't open his mouth and when I finally wedge the spoon in there he makes a bitter face and just pushes it out along with ALL the food. So frustrating. So I've decided that I'm gonna put the cereal away and try again in one week. If he STILL doesn't want it, I am going to wait until he is 5 months old and try again. I have a hard time accepting that all babies are different. If other babies can eat cereal at 4 months I expect Ryder to eat it also. I'm having to learn a LOT of patience, which is something I've never had. HAHA! So any suggestions people? I wonder if part of the problem is that I don't have anything for him to sit up in. I feed him in his swing, which is slightly reclined. Also, I think I need to let him suck on the spoon and slurp the food off rather than shove the spoon in his mouth. Maybe I should just feed him half of his bottle to take the edge off his hunger and then try feeding him the cereal before letting him finish the rest of his bottle. But that's hard to do because I just switched his bottles to a faster flowing nipple and now he eats super fast and doesn't want to even break to burp. Maybe he's not ready for the fast flowing nipples either???? Is my child developmentally challenged?!?!?!?!?!? Or am I just a pushy, impatient, demanding mother? Okay don't answer that :)

11 comments:

Ashlee said...

lol, to funny! I tried to give Isaiah the cereal with water right when he turned 4 months. I tried for 3 days, he didnt like it either. So i just wanted a few more weeks, and mixed it with baby juice,(thats what I did when my girls were little) and thats when he loved it. Make sure it is pretty runny and not thick, as he eats it , week by week make it thicker, thats what my doctor said. Who the heck is your pediatrician? I have never heard a doctor say 2 month olds should be sleeping 12 hours straight, that is ridiculous. Sleeping 5-6 hours straight for our babies is what they should be sleeping at a time. And I have never heard a peds doctor saying not to do baby juice. And apple juice is not the first juice to start with. It should be like a pear juice, or white grape juice. Hmm, I would rethink the doctor. I have worked in peds for over 7 years and have never heard some of the stuff you say your doctor says. Anyway, sorry if I am cutting your doctor down, don't mean to. Does Ryder have a Bumbo? Thats what I put Isaiah in to eat. Good luck! I also have heard, don't feed him cereal when he is super hungry. Thats not the right time.

Joy said...

Wish I could help with some advice or what not but I don't really have any. I'll let you know in about a year :).

Ashlee said...

Lara, where do you live? The pediatrician Isaiah goes to is in Chandler. I also use to work with her years ago. Both the female Dr's in that practice are great. Its called Healing hearts pediatrics. It is Dr. Mckenna. I love her. We drive from Buckeye to Chandler to see her. Isaiah sleeps about the same as Ryder. He goes down about 8, give or take a hour, then will sleep until about 5-6, I feed him a bottle then he goes right back to sleep for another few hours. Don't get frustrated on the cereal. Just try again in a week or so. I have heard some babies just wont eat it at all, and they go right to baby food at 6 months. I think if you try mixing it with baby juice he will like it alot better. But wait a week or so. Smile!!

Tyler and Neihlee said...

Don't worry about it. My mom started feeding us a full bottle of cereal everynight before bed. But my boys would NEVER take it! They didn't want anything to do with it until they were like 9 or 10 months old and still they wouldn't take it in a bottle only mixed with fruit or veggies. If Ryder is getting enough from his bottle then there is no need to supplement with cereal-besides there isn't much value in processed rice cereal all it does is fill their stomachs up and introduce a new texture to there mouth! No biggie--just try again later!

Ashlee said...

Dr. Auxier is in my parents ward. My cousin just had a baby and takes her to him. Anyway, talk to you soon.

Stoddard's said...

hey, by the way Ryder is adorable! we have to get him and Vie together! So if it makes you feel any better, I am still breastfeeding. I didn't try giving Vie cereal until 6 months and obviously she didn't care for it. I wouldn't worry about it, Ryder is obviously healthy :) So no, he's fine, like you said, babies are all different. my own personal opinion, i'd wait till he's 6 months and give him sweet potatoes. all babies love sweet potatoes :)

Shelley Goodman said...

Don't worry, rice cereal has very little nutritional value anyway. Lane ate one bowl and that was it. Till he was one the main source of food was his normal infamile bottles and a jar of baby food here and there. That's all they need. Enjoy this stage of life, cause when they are off the bottle that's when life get's fun.

Adrienne said...

It takes time. They are not used to the taste or texture. We fed Brooklen rice cereal everyday for 4 or 5 weeks before he would eat it. Be patient.

Anonymous said...

lol...hilarious. And YES...every kid is different. Ashton refused to eat rice cereal...we just skipped that step altogether...she just wasn't having it. Sutton LOVED the cereal and never refused anything I put in front of him. Don't stress it...and from what I have learned...Pediatrician's don't know a LOT...because they are generally male and have never fed a baby...lol. You're doing fine...just go with the flow!

Arnett's said...

Do what you want. He is your baby. He wont remember it anyways!! JK I know it is hard, but do your best and that will be good. Aiden never ate that rice crap. He went straight to baby food at like 4 months or something... did I do the wrong thing? To some I did, but for Aiden and I... nope I did just what I needed to do for him.

Cari Florence said...

I use to give Brayden a spoon to play with while I fed him. That way he'd be preoccupied and wouldn't fight me when I fed him. Good LUCK! The first month is the hardest!!! After that it's smooth sailing :)