Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sleepless in...Mesa

Ryder is getting slightly more difficult as he gets older. He now refuses nap times and NEVER wants to go down for bedtime. He's always been sooooo easy when it comes to nap and bedtime. It was almost like he WANTED to go down to sleep.
THEN:
He would cry for maybe 10 minutes and then take a nap - always 2 naps a day and at least one of them would be 2 or more hours long. Most of the time at night, he wouldn't cry at all. I would sing to him for a minute, lay him down, and never hear a peep until morning.
NOW:
He will cry and scream and stand up in his crib and will NOT give up until I come get him, which is usually after 45 min to an hour. I will try again about 30 min to an hour later cuz he NEEDS a nap and then he'll finally sleep for an hour or 2. However, when he wakes up, it is so late in the afternoon there is no time for a second nap. Because of the lack of 2 naps, he is suuuuper cranky the rest of the afternoon and evening until bedtime. When I put him down in bed, you would think he'd be exhausted from lack of sleep. But he will cry and scream and stand up in his crib and will NOT give up until I come back in (again - after at LEAST 45 min). I let him get back up for 30 minutes and try again and then he goes down JUST fine. I've been doing a little research and from what I've gathered...Ryder should be sleeping twice a day until he's 18 months old. So what do I do?

It's like...I can't do anything anymore without a fight. When I grab a diaper to change him, he will run away from me and laugh. He totally knows he's being a stinker. Then it takes all my energy to hold him down and try to change him without getting poop everywhere or just making a mess. I used to be able to hang him something to distract him but now whatever I hand him, he throws it. He just fights and fights and fights me on everything!

Church is the worst and this is where I need some SERIOUS advice. He will NOT stay on our laps. He wants to get up and walk around and go find brand new babies and bug them or just flat out run away from us. When we bring him back to the seat he is screaming and arching his back. It's awful! My sister Kristin bought him a really nice soft quiet book for church and I LOVE it but he is just so hyperactive at church he won't pay attention to it for more than 2-3 minutes. We are constantly taking him out into the halls and I haven't been to relief society or Sunday school in...forever because he doesn't allow me to stay for more than 10 minutes. I am there long enough to sign the roll and then he's screaming and arching his back and I have to take him out. AAHHH! Church is ALWAYS during his nap time so he's always a little beastie boy. I need some serious suggestions. What I do is not working. I cannot WAIT for nursery. OH MY GOSH!

9 comments:

Kristi & Austin said...

Seriously Lara we need to get togethher cayden and Ryder would have a freakin blast. They are both total boys!!!! I would suggest just letting him cry it out. He will learn and the sooner you let him, the easier it will be for you two. I promise!No advise on the church thing. At my church my kids can go from 3 months on.yay! So i dotn have the problem, but i know i woul if that werent the case; Also, i am so glad to hear you jacked the bottle!!! It really drives me crazy when I see kids over one with bottle... like drive me nuts!!!

Ashlee said...

If it makes you feel any better, Isaiah has never been a good daytime sleeper. His naps, if he falls asleep are only like 20-30 minutes. I hear mothers say that their kid sleeps for like 3 hours for a nap. WOW! how lucky are they. Maybe its because he gets up around 7, drinks a bottle while cuddling me in bed, then we both fall back asleep until like 9. What time does he get up in the mornings? Isaiah is still not walking either.He will stand by himself for awhile and take a step or 2, but that is it. He wants me to carry him everywhere, he is mommy's boy also.

Lindsey said...

Ryan takes really good naps BUT... I do have to cuddle/lay with her to get her to go to sleep. After that though I can walk away and she will sleep for a least two hours. Make sure the room is really dark.

Church, I can't help you on that one. We are also walking the halls.... I try to bring snacks (Raisons/fruit snacks) or quiet toys. Most of the time these things only last 15 min. Oh and I hate that ARCHED back thing they do.

That is so cool about the book, I am going to check it out for sure! Thanks so much for telling me.

Good luck with little R!

Cari Florence said...

The nap thing is hopefully just a stage! Brayden didn't want to take his naps for a while and then when I didn't give up he finally started going down easy again.

Also on the church issue I wish I had good advice, but I was in the hall for 6 months until Brayden was finally old enough for nursery. He had to run and get out his energy and I just couldn't keep him in class. I hope you figure something out there!!

Tyler and Neihlee said...

HAHA- You're not alone sister! Let me know when you figure it all out, they seem to get a little better as they get older but boys just will be boys--I have decided! I couldn't wait for nursery, the Lord sure knew what was up when he planned that!

Sara said...

Dude. Everything you just said is how Aiden was... everyday! -That was supposed to be like the quote from Nacho so read in Jack Black Hispanic voice. ANYWAY! Aiden did the same thing around 1. Books are crap. Kids are "supposed" to nap 2 times a day til 18 months. Whoever wrote that is lame sauce. All kids are different. What worked with Aiden (when I finally gave up the idea of 2 naps) was one nap in the middle of the day. Worked better. Church just BLOWS. Aiden is finally getting though Sacrament and he is 2. Best advise I got is when you take him out dont let him off your lap, but Ryder is still so young. Good luck and I pretty much think you just have to deal for a while. Nursery is bomb.

Kristi & Austin said...

hey Lara, i would take him to good night pediatrics, they are open from 5pm-5am everyday. Its a pediatric urgent care, They are the best!!!!! they have the swab and machine to test RSv right there. take him asap. He can get phnemonia..... not to scare you, but its serious... keep me posted.

Sara said...

Time for a new post already!

hairprincess said...

Hey Lara! I just barely realized that you invited me to your blog again and it worked this time, yay! I am excited to see whats going on its been forever and I totally need to do your hair when I get back! I wish I had caught ya before, sorry about that! But I swear your little guy is going through exactly like Meg did, she is on just one nap now and does great with it but sometimes she has these phases, but my sis always says just to wait cause its usually just a phase and then they do good again! Which is so true I go crazy with her random no sleep phases but it wont last! I hope its better now, he is the cutest I cant believe how big he is getting! We totally have to get to gether and hang now that you are staying home it can get kinda boring sometime with just one kid huh? We will totally hang, I will have my hands super full the end of May but we still should!:)