Sunday, July 12, 2009

S.O.S please someone help me!

It's been a little over a month now that I quit my day job and things started to get real boring for Ryder around here so last week I typed up a schedule. Everyday we get out and do SOMETHING.

Monday is grocery shopping
Tuesday is playing at the mall
Wednesday is play-date day with anyone who wants to play with us
Thursday is story time at Barnes & Noble
Friday is Hobby Lobby trip to get simple crafts to make

Now this schedule is extensive let me tell you. I typed out what we will be doing from 8 - 8:30am and from 8:30 - 9am and so on until it's bedtime. Am I crazy? Maybe. I just know that if I don't have a schedule to follow I'll get off track and spend too much time in front of the T.V. or computer and Ryder hates when I do that. I don't blame him. For the time we are at home our activities include:

reading/learning time (where are eyes, nose, mouth, ears...counting to 3...ABC's)
music/dancing time where we just listen to music and DANCE or Ryder bangs pots with spoons
building with legos
swimming
watching sign language videos
independent play

I just always wonder if I'm teaching him enough! I like to research things on the internet and find out what he should know by now and I read that he should be able to speak all these words he can't say and that he should be able to put words together and form partial sentences. Well folks...I know he ain't stupid but he can't do that! I talk to him all day long and just hope that he learns from me but maybe it's not good enough. Ryder is only 17 months old so maybe I'm expecting too much from him? I guess what I'm looking for is ideas of ways I can teach him or things I should be teaching him that I'm not. I look up activities all the time on the internet that are appropriate for his age but a lot of them seem kind of dumb or too hard. ANY advice is helpful.

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

Um.... I think everything you are doing sounds great! It is good to keep to a schedule...I don't know how you do it, sometimes it is hard to find activities around the valley that are inexpensive especially when it is 115 degrees outside. My kids love the park but it is too dang hott!

Newayz I have July 23 and 24 off (thurs and fri) if you want to have a play date?! Let me know and we can figure something out!

David, Traci, and Jordin Morris said...

Dang...I totally get your frustration. I try that same thing... Its hard to keep up with it and my kid is only 7months. You can call me any time...but I may talk a lot the first few times cuz I'm stuck in the house all day.haha...Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Let me help you out here...THE BOOKS...are not always right. Let's take the section about breast-feeding...from the pregnancy book. It states that breast-feeding should NOT be painful if done correctly. WHAT? So apparently I did it wrong 4 times because it hurt like no other the first 2 weeks with ALL 4 of them. Don't listen to what the books say. First of all...kids are all different..every single one. Some of my kids started walking earlier than others. Some talked earlier and better than others. He is doing great. His words will come..and before you know it you'll be telling him to stop talking...lol!

Lindsey said...

Ok, I will think of something to do. It is so hard because it is so blistering hott but I will think of something and let you know next week. I'm excited!!!Can't wait to see ya!

Cari Florence said...

It sounds like you guys are having a blast! A few things that I've found out about that you may like too are:

The library does story time and songs during the school year every morning, Kids club which is at the superstition mall on Thurs. @ 10am. They do song time, give the kids a cookie, and you get a free carousel ride as well. There's a splash pad at Tempe Town Lake that is just awesome for kids! It has slides, and a few other fun things, plus it's free!! Chandler District School pools have a whole water park area for little kids. It's only 50 cents for kids and a $1 for adults. We LOVE that place!!

Also with the words when they say sentences they mean 2 to 3 word sentences at that age. He won't make full sentences until he's 2 1/2 to 3 years old. So don't worry!! It sounds like you're doing everything right, and his words will come when they come.

Kristi & Austin said...

stop stressing, each kid is different. and im sure he is just fine. why have we not had a play date yet missy??

Kristin Coppee said...

Holy Crap! You're doing all THAT with him? You're awesome, Lark! You're giving him so much more than most parents (including me). My kids are so neglected. Now I'm feeling like a bad mom after reading that!

Hey, just to let you know - boys typically learn things later than girls. It's just kind of a known fact. I remember John John didn't even really start talking until after he turned 2. When he was like 2 years and 2 months he just suddenly started talking like crazy and was almost making complete sentences. My friend has a son the same age as Chloe and he can barely put two words together. Ryder is just fine. He's a very smart little guy. I agree with Scones - it's like you want your kids to learn to walk and talk so bad, but then they do and you're like, "Why did I want this?" LOL

Mark and Gretchen said...

You are doing just fine. Listen to your sisters!
Mumsie

Sara said...

Ryder can't talk in complete sentences yet? Can he at least write his name and count to ten?! JK. You are doing amazing. Seriously! You are a fantastic momma and are doing so much with him. He is a smarty pants.

mbreck said...

He sounds perfect! First of all don't stress. You could get the book from Anazon.com called, Slow and Steady Get Me Ready by June R. Oberland that has weekly things to do to teach kids from birth to 5. It is awesome.