Ryder was 3 weeks old yesterday. He is growing so BIG! He was born 9 lbs, but when I took him to the pediatrician 2 days later, he had dropped to 8 lbs, 1 oz. They told me that was normal and had me set up a 2 week check up. When I took him in last week he still only weighed 8 lbs, 9 oz. I was told to start supplementing formula after I breastfeed him (which sounded good to me because I felt like every time I fed him he was still hungry) and then bring him in for a weight check in one week. I decided to pump once just to see how much I was producing and it turns out he was only getting 3 oz out of me at every feeding. That's not enough for a boy as big as him. So for the past week I have been giving him anywhere from 1-3 oz of formula after breastfeeding, which has completely changed the way he sleeps. Now in the night he will only wake up to eat and then goes right back to sleep after his bottle. It's been GREAT! So today I took him in for a weight check and even the nurse was in shock. He weighed 10 lbs, 2 oz!!!! That means he gained 25 oz in 8 days. The nurse had me put him on two different scales because she didn't think it was right. Both scales read the same. So I left thinking everything was great. Then I get a call from the office and they tell me that the dr looked over his weight check and wants me to stop giving him formula and strictly breastfeed because he gained a LOT of weight really fast. I told them that was going to be really tough because after every time I breastfeed him, he cries and tries to suck on his hands because he is still hungry and I don't want to make him go without nourishment if he's hungry. They said they would need to discuss it more and call me back. When the did, they decided that I should keep doing my routine, but now I have to take him in again next week to check his weight. If he has gained too much again, they are going to have to try and evaluate why he is not satisfied after I feed him. My question is, how is he going to evaluate that? Watch me breastfeed and then watch Ryder's reaction afterward? Hmm.....I guess we will see.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
More pics of our lil' guy
Posted by Jon and Lara Stowell at 7:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



12 comments:
The doc definitely just wants to see some boobage... don't let him. Chubby babies rock. I say feed him as much as he wants.
LOL....that is hilarious! He is SO stinking cute...and getting so big. It goes by so fast. Always go with your instinct...half the pediatricians I have seen are borderline neurotic. Seriously....the doctors are just trying to play it safe because of law suits...you know what is best for your baby. Who cares if he gains weight...that is what they are SUPPOSED to do. He'll be great...he was probably just making up for the fact that you starved him the first 2 weeks...LOL...JK...he's a cutie!
Yes.. do what you think is best. The only thing I can think of is perhaps your leche does not have like the cream aspect. What do I know I starved my baby! Do what you think is best. Shoot start feeding him baby food and forget the leche all together!!
ok your little guy is a cutie, I cant wait to have another one that small again. Mine is a monster!!!! Thanks for te comment on the name, we love it too. And it totally fits us, we are excited!! You will see, boys are seriously the best, they love the heck out of their moms!!!
LOVE IT LARA!!! He is such a cute little boy and you look GREAT! Congratulations.
Happy Blessing Day Ryder!
Happy Blessing Day Ryder!
He is such a cutie! Momma's little eater! I say let the kid eat all he wants! As soon as he starts crawling he'll lose all his baby fat! I love the picture of John holding him while watching tv. I'm sure that's how Ryan will be one day!
HE is so freakin cute! I love his little face! sorry I haven't called yet but I am thinking Thursday or Friday around Noon at my house will be perfect for pictures for him. Let me know if that works for you and his schedule. I'll call you too.
Yeah, breastfeeding can be really complicated! It was really hard for me to get Julia to eat, and then once I did, she would never take a bottle, which was really hard if I wanted to leave her with Nathan ever.
That last picture of him looks a lot like you :)
And I'm looking forward to you doing a triathlon with me!
He's such a cutie and growing up so fast!!
Ozo bobo dodo!
John won't like this post cause it's going to make his baby dumb! lol
Cute kid!
Post a Comment