Saturday, August 9, 2008

6 Months!!!

Due to the graphic nature of SOME of this content, viewer discretion is advised.
Here is Ryder sitting up all by himself playing with his toys in his room like a big boy. I love to put this bucket on his head and he doesn't try to take it off.
Every single time Ryder takes a nap, I go to check on him and find him like this. I think he likes to feel like he's hibernating. Such a goofball. He immediately pulls his blanket over his face and I swear it helps him fall asleep. I promise the blanket is super lightweight so that I don't have to worry about him suffocating. It's more of just a soft blanket than a warm one. However, I do have to be careful because he will pull ANYTHING over his face including a large comforter. So Ryder does very well at sitting up now and is still working on rolling back to tummy. He eats 12 oz of solid baby food every day and he loves pretty much anything I give him. But I noticed that he used to eat green beans no problem, but then I started giving him a lot of the sweet fruits too often and now I can't get him to eat ANY green beans. Oops. He will still eat peas and mixed veggies though. Oh wait...my dad said he tried to give Ryder carrots the other day and he wouldn't take those either. So I guess I've officially ruined Ryder's potential to be a healthy eater. I have been trying to not be a Nazi about things lately and let him taste some big people stuff including french fries, ice cream, and popsicles. I swore I would never do that but I also don't want to be an over-bearing mother. So anyways, Ryder is becoming a better sleeper at night and is starting to wake up later than 5am every morning, which is wonderful for me. He has completely stopped sucking his thumb out of the blue and it took me about a week to realize he wasn't doing it anymore. It seems like when he started eating baby food regularly he quit sucking it. I am so glad because I was worried about it. I don't want him to be dependent on anything. He WAS dependent on his pacifier in the beginning and it drove me crazy because if we ever went somewhere and forgot it, we were in total panic and HAD to run home to get it or go buy another one. So annoying. I'm proud of my big boy. He turned 6 months old on Wednesday this week and had his 6 month WCC yesterday. He weighs 21 lbs 7 oz (95th percentile) and is 27.75 in. (90th percentile) with his head in the 80th percentile. Okay so now for the graphic part. This is why I had to put the disclaimer. So we saw Dr. Carroll this time and when he was checking Ryder over he opened up his diaper and checked his wee willy winkie (penis) and pulled back the foreskin to find that - UH OH! - his foreskin had sealed to the head of his peeper! AHHH! He showed it to me so that I would know it's NOT supposed to look like that and then he suddenly without warning RIPPED the skin back open, which made Ryder bleed and SCREAM his guts out. I cupped my hands over my mouth without really meaning to and I probably looked like a wuss but HEY! This Dr. just ripped my baby's peeper skin without even warning me! But I know that it's what he HAD to do. If he would've left it, we would've had problems later. So now Ryder has a super tender peep. I feel like he just got circumsized....AGAIN. Dr. Carroll just told me to put vaseline on it for a couple days until it heals. I don't know how I let this happen. I bathe Ryder EVERY SINGLE DAY and when I do I pull his skin back and clean in there. But I guess I just wasn't pulling it back far enough. I will be very careful about it now. My poor baby. He fell asleep on the way home so I put him down for a nap and every once in a while I would hear him whimpering. I felt soooo bad. He is doing better already though. When I changed his diaper this morning I pulled the skin back to put vaseline there and he didn't even cry. It looks SOOO red and sore though. :( What's worse is I have to get him shots on Monday. I really hate going through shots every couple months. He doesn't have bad reactions, but he gets super cranky and I don't blame him.

15 comments:

Tyler and Neihlee said...

When Brodee was little the Dr did that same thing--Poor little boys! Then when Mason came along it started to do that once so I made my mom pull it back. I was such a whimp! Congratulations on the thumb sucking feat! Mason still sucks his 2 fingers and it drives me absolutely crazy--I blame it on his dad cause he sucked his same fingers till he was 4. I love the bucket pictures!!

Cari Florence said...

That seriously happens to all chunky little boys. They have that extra little fat down there and it makes the skin stick. Brayden got his pulled back twice. I felt like the worst mother ever!! But it's hard to know how far back it's suppose to go?? I never knew if I was pulling it back far enough or not? Poor Boys!!

Oh and do you go to Gilbert Peds too?? I LOVE Dr. Leavitt!! That office has the best doctors ever!

Amber Howard said...

I LOVE the bucket hat. So cute! OUCH.... that story made me cringe and I'm not even a boy, poor little guy. Hope it gets better for your sake and his!

Sara said...

Okay... um I dont get it. How does that happen?! So gross. Poor Ryder.

Ashlee said...

When Isaiah went into his 6 month appt the doctor told me the same thing is happening. She said I need to pull the skin back every diaper change. Wonder if my doctor should of pulled it back real hard like yours did! Hmm!!

Anonymous said...

You know what...THEY SHOULD TRAIN MOTHERS OF BOYS BETTER IN THE HOSPITAL...the truth folks. I have had 3 boys and all 3 times was never coached or warned about the possibility of the skin getting "stuck". It is SO sad when it happens because by the time it is caught it usually causes the baby pain. Poor little guy...I think it happens to most chubby babies. Thankfully they don't remember this stuff. Give him kisses from Aunt Sony!

Shelley Goodman said...

Poor guy... Lane has been tortured that way too. Makes you feel glad that your a girl sometimes huh.

Sunny Biggs said...

OMG Sara's comment made me giggle. Poor lil Ryder...i feel bad for the lil boy, he prob has forgotten all about it now though. Congrats on the big boy growing up!!! hurray Ryder.

Tatum said...

He is so cute! He is the perfect mix between you and Jon. Can you believe how fast they grow! It is so sad. Poor little guy... the same thing can kind of happen with girls. The doctor says you have to spread it open once in a while to prevent it from growing shut.

Lindsey said...

I hate shots too, and that has to be the most tramatic thing I have ever heard! Poor guy. That's so cool he is such a big boy! Dylan has been going strong in the 90 percentile for 3 years... we are going to have some Strong boys!!!

Brooke and Brett Martin said...

Oh yikes yikes yikes. Good thing he won't remember that!
He sure is getting big holy cow- he's almost bigger than you!

Jeppesen Family said...

SO good to see you today. It was wierd to see everyone, but I'm glad I stopped by.
I can't believe Ryder weighs 21 lbs! Julia only weighs 22 and shes almost 2 1/2! You ARE feeding him well :) Julia eats a bunch, too though, so who knows. I guess it's good b/c he's a boy and shes a girl.
Also, so sad about his wee wee. Now I'm scared for that to happen to my baby boy! Everything's going to be so wierd to me b/c I'm used to my little girl.

Mark and Gretchen said...

He ate a whole jar of peas from Grandma yesterday...no spitting it out, just wolfed it down. Don't worry , you are a good mother.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Holy crap!! He is ADORABLE! We love that little boy!

hairprincess said...

oh my goodness I dont know what I will do if I have a boy! His poor little winki! hehe that is sad I hope he isfeeling better now! So how was your move? We will have to swim before the summer heat goes away!